Our first meeting was held Saturday, September 3rd. Members present: Allison Rittmayer (President), Todd Jurgess (Treasurer),Beth Dixon, Peter Gitto, Missy Molloy, Dan Norford, Heather Peterson, Michael Rowin, Kevin Sherman, and Andrew Wilson.
1. Announced co-sponsorship with GSC (Graduate Student Council) and others for a screening of the Piled Higher and Deeper movie based on the online comic strip www.phdcomics.com The screening will take place Tuesday, Sept. 20th at 7:30pm in the Reitz Union Cinema. Watch the trailer below and for more info see http://www.phdcomics.com/movie/index.php
2. Members voted to support co-sponsoring the Cuban Cinema 1961-2011: Imaginaries, Politics, Censorship (Homage to Fausto Canel) conference being organized by Gerardo Munoz in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese. The details of our co-sponsorship are pending receipt of our budget. More information can be found in the conference proposal.
3. Plans for a meet-and-greet with Film and Media Studies faculty was announced. Date and time pending.
4. We discussed holding two screenings per month: one held as usual (by voting on member submissions) and the second featuring films organized around a monthly theme. We voted for having a Halloween horror/scary movie marathon.
5. Preliminary information was given about the conference planning process, which will start with topic/theme selection from member proposals in October.